Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stealing European ideas

On my way to work one day, I heard a radio announcer talk about a new reality TV show.

"Farmer Seeks a Wife," I think it was called. It's supposed to be about 25 city girls going to live with a farmer somewhere in the Midwest. The farmer will chose a wife among them.

"What the heck?" I thought. "That's just like that stupid show that's been on TV in Sweden for a few years now!"

I've never actually seen the show since I've been out of the country, but all the contestants have been appearing frequently on the tabloid Aftonbladet's web site.

"Do they have to steal all the good TV shows from Sweden?" I thought to my self, thinking of the show "Survivor," which is based on the Swedish concept of "Expedition Robinson."

As soon as I got to a computer, I googled this new farmer show. As it turns out, it isn't a Swedish concept at all. The show started in England several years before Sweden, and it has apparently been very popular in Holland and Germany as well.

Oh well. At least I can complain that American steal all their shows from England. And Sweden was still first with "Survivor."

4 comments:

Maria said...

Trodde nog också att Bonde söker fru var en svensk uppfinning. jaja, svenskt eller inte, jag har aldrig tittat på det. Har heller aldrig tittat på Idol, Talang eller alla hundratals liknande dokusåpor som skräpar ner alla tvkanaler. (ojoj så präktig jag lät nu....)

Anonymous said...

The Farmer Wants A Wife started in print: in the British Country Living Magazine. Then it was not only quite charming - women (and inte the second year men, as women farmers participated) wrote letters to the dozen or so farmers presented in the magazine, the farmers picked women for dates and the readers were only presented with the results - but the story behind the idea was dark: increasing sucidal rates among farmers who not only had to fight poor outcomes of farming but never had time to date and were dangerously lonely.

Then a TV station in Britain picked it up and the depressing commercial rest we know.

Vickan said...

Thank you for clarifying that. I had no idea about the suicide rates, I had heard/read something about Country Living but wasn't really sure how the contest worked in "print" form, being so used to reality TV.

Anonymous said...

Those TV-show concept are för sale. The TV needs to pay to use the idea.Aparently people are so poor with ideas that need to pay for bad one. Have a nice day and good luck with YOU thik you can blogg tävling!