Monday, March 10, 2008

The vending machine mystery

We don’t have much at our newspaper office, but we do have four vending machines. One sells coca-cola and water, another sells questionable coffee. The third sells juice and ready-made inedible sandwiches, and the fourth sells chips and candy.

Once in a while, I will get a diet coke. I just need that extra kick of caffeine. In the three years I’ve worked at the newspaper, I think I have gotten candy five or six times. Also because I needed a kick of energy. I stay away from the machine-made coffee, and I wouldn’t touch the sandwiches with gloves on.

Some reporters spend their days filling up on sodas; others fill their bellies with chips two or three times a day. The mailroom people who work at night always gather around the snacks when they get their 15-minute breaks. I don’t have the habits down of people in advertising or circulation since I don’t work during the day, but I imagine they make it worthwhile for the vending-machine company to keep coming back.

This fascination with vending machines is a mystery to me. Why do people pay $1 for a bag of chips that would cost half the price if they dragged their lazy asses down to the store, three minutes away? Can people not plan far enough ahead to buy snacks for work in bulk, or instant coffee to keep in their desks that will last through the week?

No wonder people complain that they don’t get paid enough. If this is what they spend their money on while they are at work, I can only imagine the amounts of money they spend during their time off.

4 comments:

BluePlastic said...

Well, I know I use the vending machine because I have terrible self-control and it's easier to get bags of chips pre-measured than to actually count them out.

I should just go to the wholesale club though. It is a valid point.

Anonymous said...

Are you making fun of me? After reading this blog, I actually packed a lunch for Wednesday.

2 Sandwiches, A yogurt, a can of gingerale, and 2 packs of string cheese.

It's a good day to save a few bucks. Considering POWERBALL is up to 270 million.

Btw, all of these things have happened at work while you were on your holiday except for ONE, try to guess which is false:

1. Sarah's fiance dumped her.
2. The AP picked up my Ryan Bingham wrestling story.
3. We have a new employee in the newsroom.
4. Garrett and Michelle hooked up in the Bistro.

Try to guess the lie, the answer may surprise you.

Vickan said...

Good boy for packing a lunch, Walt. I figured we should put in $3 each today for Powerball. What do you think?

I believe answer No. 4 is false. I was going to say No. 2, but it has to be true since No. 4 is def. the false one.

Anonymous said...

DING DING DING. You are correct. Sarah is feeling blue, my bingham story has even made it to FOX news and some girl named Caitlin, I believe, is our new online editor.

I will agree to $3 for powerball as long as everyone else does. I also think the contract is a good idea.