Sunday, March 30, 2008

The toaster oven

A toaster oven is a commonly used item in American households. It is bigger than a regular toaster, but smaller than an oven. Pieces of bread or bagels are placed horizontally (like in an oven), which means you can cook things with toppings on them.

I’ve never really understood the beauty of a toaster over, however. If the bread fits in a toaster, put it in a toaster. Otherwise, use the oven.

Perhaps I’m just not cooking enough frozen pizza or pre-made “bagel bites,” where the toaster oven may come in handy for quickly heating up a small quantity of food. The few times I have used a toaster oven, however, I find that it cooks things very unevenly.

I might also be spoiled with a good-quality gas stove and oven, which heats up within a few minutes and doesn’t waste much energy doing so.

To me, a toaster oven just takes up space on your kitchen counter. A tiny toaster can be tucked away, if you don’t have enough space. And the real oven is already there, built into your kitchen. Why bring another item into the household that you don’t need?

Perhaps you have to be American to understand the toaster oven. My American readers are welcome to post enlightening comments explaining this phenomenon.

1 comment:

BluePlastic said...

Well, I know that in my house, my mom likes to eat really big fat bagels that won't even fit in the bagel-type toaster. We also used to use it a lot for small amounts of food, so we wouldn't heat up the whole house with the big oven. Now that our new stove has a smaller top oven in addition to the bottom bigger oven, we use that instead because it works better.

It's also good for places like the Register Citizen office, where we can't have a real stove. :)