Monday, March 9, 2009

Getting contacts


Driving home from work at night, I've noticed that I can't see as well as I used to. I knew it was time to get my eyes checked again to up my prescription, but I just never seemed to have the time to get around to it. Last week, I finally forced myself to do it.

I had been thinking about getting contacts for a while, but the idea of sticking my fingers into my eyes really bothered me. In fact, it still bothers me.

I went ahead and ordered contacts anyway, and was immediately offered a set of contacts to practice with. Of course, I first had to come back for a class to learn how to put them in and take them out. It was a bit embarrasing sitting at the store counter crying my eyes out and looking flustered, but after about half an hour or so, I had managed to put both contacts in. Another 20 minutes later, I finally got both of them out again and was able to go home.

For now, I struggle every day to keep the contacts in for a few hours at a time - 2 hours on Friday, 4 hours on Saturday, 6 hours on Sunday and 8 hours today. On Friday, I will go back to have the prescription checked again - and hopefully also pick up my new glasses!

Oh yeah, I am not planning to be one of those people, you know, the ones who walk around with contacts all the time looking pretty. I actually like my glasses; they make me look smarter.

The main reason for getting the contacts is for times like the wedding, or when I want to go skiing - times when glasses would just get in the way of things.

The only problem is that my test contacts don't seem to be the right prescription for me. I can see things far away, but looking at a computer screen is still very blurry (and this is after four days of wearing them!). I can't wait to see what the pages I design will look like this week before I get my real contacts...

No comments: