Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

A few years ago - my first summer in the United States - I made the mistake of going into New York City with some friends to see the fireworks.

The FDR highway going along the east side of Manhattan was closed, and people were lining up around 4 p.m. for that night's show.

We sat there on the ground, in heat over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, waiting for hours. We stared at the East River, we sipped our water, and we socialized with some fellow tourists.

The fireworks that evening were magnificent. The heat, however, was not.


Luckily, I'm going to be inside tonight, working. If I have time, I'll climb up on the roof, where I can see most of Torrington. Hopefully, that'll be the most eventful part of my day.

No comments: