Saturday, June 28, 2008

What's wrong with people?

After several nights of less than optimal sleep, I headed from my morning job to my real job. A few minutes after settling in at my desk, I find out that we have a very disgusting story as the lead for Saturday's paper.

Someone in our area has shot and butchered a 5-month-old baby cow in a farmer's backyard. The farmer is now offering a $500 reward for any information leading to a conviction.

Unfortunately, charges would be larceny, trespassing and tampering with private property - all pretty much misdemeanors. There is no charge called "severe, cruel and stupid animal abuse" - regular animal abuse is also just a misdemeanor.

Reading the story, I almost cried when the farmer described how he found the mommy cow standing over bloody pieces of her baby.

A few minutes later, I checked the AP state wire and saw a brief about a stolen puppy that's been found. Should be happy, I thought. Wrong. I mean, the puppy was found alive, but it was stolen from a well-known humane society and found in a plastic garbage bag in a dumpster at a construction site.

What is wrong with people? I can't even begin to fathom what could make someone be so cruel.

Of course, the calf story got bumped to number 3 after some guy shot another guy outside a local motorcycle club (1) and another guy drove his pick-up truck through two telephone poles causing 2,500 residents to lose power for a few hours (2).

You know, just another day at the office.

3 comments:

kajsamaria said...

det undrar jag många gånger också, vad det är för fel på folk... folk som gör illa, stjäl, sårar och sabbar "för nöjes skull" jag fattar inte...

Anonymous said...

How awful. It makes me so angry I almost break out in cold sweat.

Vickan said...

People who hurt, steal and ruin things just for the heck of it are sick and I think it's been proven that they will stop at nothing. I mean, the next step is to hurt a person, because if you have that kind of disregard for any type of life, it doesn't matter if it's human or not.