Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Student newspaper independence

A tak force at my alma mater has ruled on an issue very dear to my heart:

Quinnipiac task force says cut Chronicle loose

As a former editor of the student newspaper The Chronicle, and a proponent of free speech, I have been actively involved in trying to change the way the school controls the newspaper. I have written letters to the editor and letters to all top players at Quinnipiac University regarding this matter. I also tried to help by starting a postcard campaign, insipired by a campaign my former journalism teacher inspired us to do in Sweden in 1997.

The current editor of The Chronicle has done nothing wrong; he has been a great journalist, poking in things administrators rather he didn't. I believe this decision is a great step for students, journalists and the entire communications program at Quinnipiac University.

No comments: