Sunday, May 17, 2009

From tomato bush to plants



Alright, so I separated my huge "tomato bush" into little plants. I am worried that keeping them outside will kill them, however, so I made a back-up one for the kitchen window that I can keep an eye on.

They look so sad, just a few little green sticks by themselves. And they all want to droop over the sides of the pots. Hopefully some sun will straighten them out!

Below that are my marigolds, which I weeded out. Still not sure anything will come of them. And my wildflower garden from last year finally has its first flower! (I'll have to do a close-up later, because I realize now you can't even see it... it's the yellow thing on the left).






5 comments:

Anne Sofie said...

May I suggest you take out all but one plant a pot, or you'll have to repot again next weekend or so... you'll get stronger plants that way.

Vickan said...

But they looked so tiny all by themselves in those big pots... plus, some of the roots were all tied together and I didn't want to rip them apart, because I figured that would kill them.

Anne Sofie said...

Nothing can kill a tomato... and they won't thrive massed together.

Vickan said...

Oh, I'm pretty sure I can.

Anonymous said...

Your frend is right, they need to be separated, one in each pot. Also you should pinch off the first to "suckers" on the plant. That's the original 2 leaves that first showed up. My dad used to grow tomatoes from seed and he was quite successful. However it takes FOREVER to get tomatoes.He also used to put a little cardboard tube around the stems to support them until they were strong enough to stand alone. You make a small tube from paper towel cardboard about 3/4" in diameter and 2-3" high,put it around the tomato plant then tape it in place. Good luck. Joann B