Saturday, February 21, 2009

Traveling made easy

I'm jealous when I think of young people today and all the gadgets they have.

When I left Sweden ten years ago, I brought five of my favorite CDs with me in their original cases. I had a Hotmail account, and the first few days in New York I visited a public library to use a computer so I could communicate with my friends.

I had never had a cell phone, except for a month during the summer when work lent it to me, and I had never owned a movie on DVD.

Now, I could pack up my entire movie collection and take it with me wherever I go. It's in a convenient, flat black case. My songs are all stored on my computer. If I had a Blackberry Storm, I could use this cell phone/PDA/tiny computer anywhere in the world, and I'm sure it could also carry all my favorite songs and maybe even a few videos.

You can go anywhere now, and still be surrounded by what you know. It's like the world has all of a sudden become a much smaller place.

I'm not sure I like it.

No comments: