Friday, February 13, 2009

Crazy cards



I was amazed when I first came to the U.S. and went to the store to buy a birthday card. Not only were there cards to people of every age and gender, there were also cards from sons, daughters, grandmothers, grandfathers, siblings, "all of us," cats and dogs... etc.

While browsing for a card for Albie for Valentine's Day today, I found a card to "dad from pre-teen." How much more specific can it get?

No wonder these cards take up several aisles at the grocery store! Although, I have to admit, I have never been able to find a card that says "from the au pair." I've always been slightly offended by that!

One of the most challenging things is to find a card with minimal writing in it so that you can write what you want. Especially for Valentine's Day, all cards seem to be filled with two or three pages of poems or religious rants about how lucky we all are to be in this world, why we are so blessed, what we are supposedly feeling, and when and how we should be feeling this, when all I really need it a card that says "I love you."

Perhaps I'll just have to make one myself.

No comments: