Friday, November 7, 2008

About food and what to eat


Most of my friends blog about food. In fact, many of my friends have specific food blogs. It was only a matter of time before I touched on the subject as well.

You shouldn't expect to find any fancy recipes here, though. I mainly make things up as I go along, or I stick to a few tried-and-true recipes I brought with me from Sweden.

As I was watching a new episode of CSI tonight, I realized the small salad I had earlier in the day wasn't going to hold me over for the rest of the night. During a commercial break, I rushed into the kitchen and realized I had NOTHING. Fridge - close to empty. Freezer - close to empty. Cabinets - well, except for the basics, pretty empty. I finally threw together a small pizza using tortilla bread, pasta sauce and some shredded cheddar cheese (there is ALWAYS cheese at my house).

An couple of hours later - remember, I am up until all hours of the night - I was hungry again. Albie just got home from work, so I told him "I'm making deviled eggs." While I waited for the eggs to boil and cool down, I made some scones. We like them with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light (very similar to Swedish bordsmargarin), and some cheese.

(What you see above was barely on the plate long enough to be photographed).

Funny thing about deviled eggs - or eggs in general. I had never heard of so many different ways of eating eggs until I came to the United States. I knew of hard- or softboiled eggs, and eggs fried on one side or on both.

In the past 10 years, I've learned about "sunny side up," "over easy," "poached," "scrambled" and - a personal favorite - Eggs Benedict, a poached egg on an English muffin with a piece of Canadian bacon (kassler) and Hollandaise sauce. Then, of course, there's the deviled eggs.

I first learned about deviled eggs while planning for a Christmas party at my first job.

"What should I bring?" I asked my co-workers. "Please, please, please... bring some deviled eggs!" someone begged. "Some WHAT eggs?" I said. Then I went home and googled it.

It's fairly easy - you boil 12 eggs, then cut them in half and take out the yolk and mix that with some mayo, honeymustard and spices, put it all back in the egg and sprinkle paprika powder on top.

Something about that creamy, salty combination had me sold from the start. And I have to say, I now make pretty good deviled eggs. So good, in fact, that I'm going to sneak back downstairs and have a couple more...

3 comments:

John Hirbour said...

You should blog about how you make the bestest Rice Crispty Treats EVER!!!!

Oh and don't forget "egg over easy" can also be called dippy eggs' or 'dip eggs' if you're from Central PA or MD

Register Citizen Staff said...

Never heard of "dip eggs."

Russian eggs? That's interesting. I went to Wikipedia to find out what they might be called in Swedish, but there was no Swedish page... However, the English entry said they are sometimes called "mimosa eggs."

Any Swedes wanna help us out here? Do deviled eggs exist in Sweden? I've never seen them.

Vickan said...

Sorry, the above post is from me. I was logged in with my work account!