Sunday, August 16, 2009

The joy of condo living

Some days, I just wish I lived in a house in the middle of the woods.

On Tuesday this week, the maintenance guys came to mow the lawn outside my bedroom window early in the morning. On Wednesday, it was the garbage truck that woke me up – the Dumpster is almost across the street from our unit, and they had to keep backing the truck back and forth to get it into position.

I don’t know what they were doing on Thursday, but it was loud, and it was way too early to even think about finding out what was going on.

By the time the gardeners came back to trim the hedges at 9 a.m. on Friday, I was so tired I didn’t know what to do with myself. I do work at night, after all, and I need my rest in the mornings.

I finally grabbed my pillow and comforter and waddled into the second bedroom, where I fell back asleep on the futon. It was much easier to ignore the teen neighbor’s music blaring through the walls than it was the “whirrrrr-weeeee-pause-whirrrr-weeeee” sound from the front of the house. I got a good two more hours in before the gardeners came to the back of our building and there was no more escaping any noise.

But now I would like to escape to a house in the woods, please, with no neighbors, no gardeners, no visitors, no roads… no airplanes overhead. Oh, and no delivery trucks or garbage men. Just a big, empty house with lots of silence.

No comments: