Thursday, June 25, 2009

When rumors spread

Three people came up to me yesterday at work, saying "why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be in Sweden?"

"Huh?" I said to the first one, and just shook it off.
"Where did you hear that?" I asked the second one without a good response.
"What the heck is going on?" I said after the third person's comments.

Apparently, my boss has told people I will be away for a "vacation." He didn't feel it appropriate, he said, to inform them about my medical issues. Which would be all nice and well, if it wasn't for the fact that I have told half the newsroom, and I'm even tweeting, Facebooking and blogging about it. It's not a secret.

"Did you tell them I'm going to Sweden?" I asked.
"Of course not. They probably just assume. You being Swedish an all."

I tried to correct a few of them. "It's not until next week," I'd say. I even told some people it won't be a vacation at all, because I'm having surgery. But it was tiring. There were so many of them that were misinformed.

Later in the day, I just ran away from comments such as "hope you have a nice trip" and "make sure Jordan (the boss) doesn't put you on the wrong flight and send you somewhere you won't want to go."

No comments: