Monday, August 6, 2007

Passing The Ultimate Test

I have this test that I put all men through, whether or not I'm going out with them or anything serious is going on. The test is something everyone I am slightly interested in have to pass, and to be honest, most men fail (especially Americans).

Now, the test takes place only in my head, and it goes something like this:

1) Is this a person I can have fun with?
(Most people pass this one. If they don't, there's no need for the rest of the test.

2) Is this a person I would like to bring with me to Sweden?
(A lot of people have failed this one, and nothing serious could happen if I can't imagine the person meeting my family and friends)

3) Is this a person I would introduce to my former host father?
(Now this is tricky, because I shouldn't care what he thinks, but for some reason I do. And let me tell you, this is not an easy step to pass!)

4) Could I see this person as the father of my children?
(I know, I always say I'll never have kids and I'll never be ready for a family, but this step is the ultimate test. If a person passes this step, he is REALLY good.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I wrote the above part back in August 2002, but it still rings true today. I wanted to include it here and to add an update, because I have actually found someone who passed the test. His name is Albie, and most of you have probably heard of him already.

Albie and I have a lot of fun together (when we finally get some time away from work), and we are going to Sweden together in September. He met and was approved by my ex-host father for Easter, and one day, perhaps, there will be children in our future. There, I've said it. But I don't want any reminders. If it is meant to be, it'll happen.

Back in '02, I wrote the test down in a letter for a guy I had a crush on. The letter was never meant to be read by anyone, but I recently came across it and several others when I was cleaning my room.

I decided to do the typical American thing, what I've seen people do on "Friends" and on other sitcoms and in movies: burn the letters. A few minutes ago, I watched all the ripped up pieces of paper go into flames outside by the firepit. It was a great night for doing it, not too hot.

As I watched the flames, I could see one ghost from my past finally floating away up into the air. It was a great feeling. Perhaps there will be more bonfires to come.

No comments: